Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Desires of Men

compiled by Terry Lesher
The following are a collection of hadith from Imam Ahmed Hanibal, all chosen because of their similar form, the questions various people asked the Prophet (PBUH)
Man:  I wish to be the richest man in the world.
Prophet (PBUH):  Be contented and you will be the richest man in the world.
Man:  I would like to be the most learned of men.
Prophet (PBUH):  Fear Allah and you will be the most learned of men.
Man:  I would like to be the most just man.
Prophet (PBUH): Desire for others what you desire for yourself and you will be the most just of men.
Man:  I would like to be the best of men.
Prophet (PBUH):  Do good to others and you will be the best of men.
Man:  I would like to be the most honorable man.
Prophet (PBUH):   If you do not complain to any fellow creature you will be the most honorable of men.
Man:  I would like Allah to bestow His mercy on me.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you have mercy on yourself and others, Allah will grant you mercy on the Day of Judgment.
Man:  I would like my prayers to be answered.
Prophet (PBUH): If you avoid forbidden actions, your prayers will be answered.
Man:  I would like to be the strongest of men.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you put your trust in Allah, you will be the strongest of men.
Man:  I wish to be safe from Allah's wrath on the Day of Judgment.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you do not lose your temper with any of your fellow creatures, you will be safe from the wrath of Allah on the Day of judgment.
Man: I would like to be loved by Allah and His messenger.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you love what Allah and His messenger love, you will be among their beloved ones.
Man:  I would like my sins to be very few.
Prophet (PBUH): If you seek the forgiveness of Allah as much as you can, your sins will be very few.
Man:  I would like to be free from all sins.
Prophet (PBUH):  Bathe your body from impurities and yu will be free from all sins.
Man:  What are the worst evils in the eyes of Allah?
Prophet (PBUH):  Hot temper and miserliness.
Man:  I would like to be raised on the Day of Judgment in the light.
Prophet (PBUH):  Don't wrong yourself or any other creature and you will be raised on the Day of Judgment in the light.
Man:  I would like Allah to enlarge my provision.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you keep yourself pure, Allah will enlarge your provision.
Man:  I wish to be the most favored by Allah.
Prophet (PBUH):  Engage much in Allah's praise and you will be most favored by him.
Man:  I wish to be obedient to Allah.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you observe Allah's commands you will be obedient.
Man:  I would like Allah not to disgrace me on the Day of Judgment.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you guard your chastity, Allah will not disgrace you on the Day of Judgment.
Man:  What will save me from sins?
Prophet (PBUH):  Tears, humility, and illness.
Man:  I wish to be among those who do good.
Prophet (PBUH):  Adore Allah as if you see Him.  If you don't see Him, He sees you.  In this way you will be among those who do good.
Man:  I would like to complete my faith.
Prophet (PBUH):  If you have good manners, you will complete your faith.
Man:  I would like Allah to provide me with a covering protection on the Day of Judgment.
Prophet (PBUH):  Do not uncover your fellow creatures' faults, and Allah will provide you with a covering protection of the Day of Judgment.
Man:  What does calm the wrath of Allah in this life and in the Hereafter?
Prophet (PBUH):  Concealed Charity and kindness to relatives.
Man:  What does extinguish hellfire on the Day of Judgment?
Prophet (PBUH):  Patience in adversity and misfortune.

1 comment: